The last few days have seen a steady flow of people buying chocolate lips, hearts and cheeky nipples or chilli chocolates in our shops. Occasionally we hear stories from the shops that melt our hearts a little, so here to get you in the mood are Motcomb Street’s top 5 romantic customers:
- A couple of years ago a customer asked for a round box filled with fresh ganaches and asked us to pipe ‘will you?’ on them. We often take requests for bespoke hand-painted hearts and eggs, and messages have ranged from proposals to insults (it’s not very romantic, but our Mail Orders team was amused by the person who went to the trouble of ordering a bespoke Easter egg with the message ‘you smell’).
- A man brought in a pearl necklace a few weeks ago and asked to have it wrapped up and packed inside a hand-painted heart. He was posting it to his girlfriend in America. You don’t need anything as lavish as a necklace to make an impression though – it’s not too late to go into one of our shops and hand-write your own message to go inside a hand-painted heart!
- Someone contacted us about a romantic treasure hunt he was arranging for his girlfriend’s birthday around London. He sent her to Motcomb Street, where she got a hand-painted solid chocolate heart prettily wrapped up with the next clue.
- A couple of months ago just before Christmas, a man called us wanting to have a special date in our garden. Luciana filled our secret garden with tea lights and they had chocolates and bubbly in the garden. It rained non-stop and was freezing, but he was blown away by the gesture and loved the date.
- A few years ago a couple who had come to a Rococo tasting on one of their first dates returned for a chocolate breakfast, supposedly a birthday treat. The boyfriend had called in advance and arranged a hamper filled with treats, including a large hollow hand-painted heart with an engagement ring inside. Sara says that the staff hid downstairs with bated breath and champagne ready to pop while he proposed. Of course, she said yes!
We love Valentine’s Day and want to know what you’re planning. What’s the most romantic thing you’ve ever done or had done for you, or is it something you’re planning for tomorrow?