Are you a chocoholic craving to savor the rich flavor of chocolate melting in your mouth? If the answer is yes, you will love this coming week, which is American Chocolate Week, beginning March 14 through March 20. What better way to kick off American Chocolate Week than with a recipe that has a kick and exudes the latest taste sensation, chili and chocolate, according to the Chocolate Report. It is a Chili Chocolate Cake found on a luscious website, La Dolce Italia, “devoted to Italian sweets and dessert wines.”
Tribute to a ‘perfect’ food
In case you’re not up on your chocolatiering studies, it has been said that chocolate is one of the most perfect foods consumed by man. It contains essential vitamins and minerals, is high in antioxidants, and is good for cholesterol and cardiac health.
A research study by The Netherlands showed that eating the equivalent of one-third of a chocolate bar every day could lower blood pressure and also reduce the risk of death by up to 50 percent. Of course, like all foods, chocolates should be consumed in moderation.
Chili Chocolate Cake: Tortino di cioccolato al Peperoncino
- 3 1/2 oz A chocolate, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
Directions (Serves 6):
- In a small bowl melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave or over a double boiler.
- Add the eggs, yolks, sugar, flour and cayenne pepper and whisk until creamy and well combined.
- Pour the batter into six 1/2 cup ramekins and refrigerate for at least one hour and up to six hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake for eight minutes. The centers will be soft and oozy.
- Serve with raspberry sauce.
- 1 pint raspberries
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
Combine the raspberries and sugar in a small saucepan and heat, mashing the raspberries with a fork until sauce is warm.