These “home made” scones have been a consistent hit since Rococo first opened in 1983. Regulars and celebrities alike would come begging for the bespoke teas to accompany this sweetmeat and the tradition continues to this day in the Marococo Garden in Motcomb street where they’ve been demanding the recipe, possibly in anticipation of Father’s day?
- 4 parts flour : 1 part butter
- Baking powder
- Buttermilk or Milk and Yoghurt or Sour milk
- Rub butter in as in pastry but not too fine, better to have a few small chunks to keep it light
- Add baking powder and mix in
- Blend some plain yogurt and milk or buttermilk and add to the crumbs to make a dough. I never measure the liquid, but just use enough – not too much!
- Roughly shape the scones, without over handling.
- Preheat oven to hot and bake for about 10-12 mins until hollow sound on base when tapped.
- Serve with clotted cream and good jam.